Monday, January 18, 2010

Please, take me away from here.

MSo..
Blogness. It's almost 1 in the morning and I think I'll go to bed after this post. I'd stay on but my parents don't like me staying up late even though it's holidays and when one of them catches me on the comp there'll be a quiet row. It's so annoying. Oh well. I mean there's no real reason why I can't. School doesn't start for two weeks so I don't need to get back into 'proper sleeping habits'. I'm not keeping anyone awake and I don't have to do anything in the morning that requires me to get up before 11.
I have a bunch of good songs I've found (well, CG made me download) so I'll make a list when I decide what to put on my Ipod.
My New Year Wishlist:
Bioshock 2, $110
A new Ipod, $200 ish
a new laptop, $900 +
A girlfriend, priceless.

:D. half kidding.

Now, onto a (potentially) more interesting subject (for you).

As you may have guessed, my favourite genre of music is heavy metal, but I also like songs from other genres. Basically I listen to music for a few different reasons, which means different genres come into my favourite's lists for different reasons.

Reason one is escape. Metal is good for this because if you listen to metal, the songs often have dark, mysterious or supernatural themes. Metal is a based on subjects that don't fit into my daily life, so I'm not reminded of it. Also, metal is (almost always) loud. Because its loud, and the vocal's often are second to the instruments, you don't have to focus on anything, and the outside world is blocked out at the same time.

Reason two is for fun. Often there are songs that don't really mean anything, you can just sing along and enjoy the ride. Rock is good for this, because the songs are often about rockstars crazy/different lives and also techno/electronica, where the lyrics are often simple/repetitive as the melody is more important. 'Fun' may sound similar to 'escape', but there is a difference, even if only I can see it.
Pop of course goes here, though I will get sick of hearing a specific pop song I originally liked after listening to it nonstop for a week and as a consequence, will never touch it again. Punk rock can also go in here, since I will memorise songs just so I can sing along, and punk (almost) always has clear vocals as well as good lyrics and sound. An exception is Minor Threat's hardcore punk song Straight Edge, the lyrics of which are almost mpossible to understand. It is hardcore punk though, not punk rock. While I mention it, Straight Edge helped spur on a hardcore punk movement which named Straight Edge after the song. The movement basically is about rejecting alchohol, cigarettes, illicit drugs etc, and promoting vegetarianism.

Reason three is for the deep emotions that can be put into songs. This inevitably and typically means soft rock, easy listening, sad/emo songs and love songs. The thing about listening to these kind of songs is that often I only listen to them so I can wallow in self-pity or vain/pathetic hope. Sometimes they can be uplifting though. Meh. These song are often the ones that stay the longest, as I feel the artist really means what they're saying. Often 'fun' songs won't last very long, as they may be catchy but the artist may not always mean what they say (see pop songs :P). The 'escape songs can last quite awhile but, after I know the lyrics perfectly, and I know what comes next, they aren't as good anymore. So emotion songs stay the longest because they don't lose significance and the artist truly means their words (or their good at pretending, I don't mind).

The best thing about music is that often it's ambiguous in it's meaning, so I can create my own. This is true across all genres and it is the reason why I don't like hearing why the artist wrote the song, because it's usually contrary to the meaning I get from it.

So there you go. Its been forty minutes since I started writing. I think I'll get some pictures.

It's been an hour since I've started, I only found one good picture. Oh well, I like it.

Nighty night.


P.S. For some reason my posts are an hour behind. It is actually almost 2 but I says 1. Don't ask me why, it's too late to fix it

1 comment:

Camelgirl said...

Wow, nice.
That was interesting.
Thanks for answering my question, haha
:)